Thursday 7 July 2011

Chickpea Curry

Chickpea Curry
from Thai Vegetarian Cooking, Vatcharin Bhumichitr, Pavilion, 1991.

I have two different Thai vegetarian cookery books. My impression is that each one approaches their recipes from a different direction. One uses traditional recipes and then modifies them to make them vegetarian. The other creates the recipes from the start.

The few recipes I have cooked from the former have not been overly successful as far as flavour has been concerned. They have missed out on the rich tang of Thai cooking.



From the second book I have only made two recipes and these have pleased with the richness of the flavour though, so far, they have not, to my mind, been flavours that have been particularly Thai. Nevertheless this is the cookery book which I prefer out of the two.



In all fairness to the books I'll keep cooking from both. Once I've tried a bit further it's quite possible I could change my first impressions.

The chickpea curry from Thai Vegetarian Cooking was an easy one to make once the herbs and spices were pounded in the mortar. From then on it was only a matter of adding the ingredients into the saucepan in the specified order. A warm and satisfying meal.  



Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment