Friday 22 July 2011

Phil's Omelette with Soy-Braised Potatoes


Phil’s Omelette
from  Mrs Harvey’s Sister-in-Law and other tasty dishes, Margaret Dunn, Murdoch Books, 2008.

I keep returning to this book because I find the recipes not only well worth trying but I am entertained by the gossipy stories that accompany them. They are family type stories that give bits of information or background to where the recipes came from or who supplied them. It all gives a nice sense of history that brings back memories of my own grandmother’s cooking.



Phil’s Omelette gets its name from a boyfriend of the author even though she explains that she is sure that he never ever cooked it. It’s a little different from the usual omelette recipe so I thought I would give it a try.

This omelette has a slice of white bread included in it. It is soaked in milk and then mashed before it is added to the egg yolks, and then finally the beaten egg whites. I omitted the Worcester sauce as it does have anchovies in it and is a no-no for vegetarians.



The result was a very light, fluffy omelette cooked in a small size like large pikelets. They were a little difficult to turn in the pan because they were so light and tended to buckle a bit as you tried to slide the slice under them. Nevertheless, a welcome change to the usual omelette.

Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔

Soy-Braised Potatoes
from The Gourmet Vegetarian Slow Cooker, Lynn Alley, Ten Speed Press, 2010.

Wanting something to go with Phil’s Omelette I settled on soy-braised potatoes. It was odd to cook them in a slow cooker but it did mean I could put them on and forget them for some time and give all my attention to the omelette when I was ready to make it.



They were an easy cook, not a flavour I felt went particularly well with potatoes, but certainly worth the try.



Taste: ✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment