Saturday 9 July 2011

Pistachio and Rosewater Palmiers with Spiced Coffee

Honey-coated Pistachio and Rosewater Palmiers
from Moroccan, The Australian Women’s Weekly, ACP Books, 2011. 

I don’t often cook cakes or biscuits but, when I looked at the illustration of these palmiers in Moroccan, I was tempted. I also had some pistachios in the cupboard and puff pastry in the fridge.

I had bought this book for the vegetarian tagines in it: it has more than you usually find in other Moroccan cookbooks. The tagine I cooked, Spicy Pumpkin Tagine with Harissa, was very successful so I was hoping that the palmiers would also work out well. I have found that recipes from The Australian Women’s Weekly are usually good ones.



The palmiers were fun to make. All that had to be done was to make a paste from the ingredients, spread this onto the puff pastry sheets and then fold them in the precise manner which was described in the recipe.  The folding was the secret to making the particular shapes of the palmiers. They then only had to be sliced and baked. Dipping them into a honey mixture was the final process.



Tasty and moreish (not intended as a pun). The batch did not last very long at all.

Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔


Spiced Coffee with Rosewater Cream
from Moroccan, The Australian Women’s Weekly, ACP Books, 2011.

To go with the palmiers I made spiced coffee from the same Moroccan cookery book. It was made with instant coffee and I thought this would be a good way to improve it.

The spices flavoured the coffee really well but it was very strong, too strong for both of us. The heart was pumping at a furious pace when I finished.

Taste: ✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔


No comments:

Post a Comment