Monday 22 August 2011

A Savoury Tart


Saffron, Basil and Ricotta Tart
from The Country Cookbook, Belinda Jeffery, Lantern, 2010.

Again I’m back in The Country Cookbook. Once you find a book you can trust you tend to go back to it when you are looking for something new to make. And that’s the case with this book from Belinda Jeffery.



The pastry base for this tart is reasonably time consuming if you follow the Jeffery model. It’s worth following though as it produces a pastry that’s rich and a case that looks good.



I’m not a real saffron fan though it does add a wonderful yellow colour to the food. I always find that there’s a slight tang that I do not thoroughly enjoy. I don’t dislike it but I don’t go out of my way to use it.



The tart, though, sounded as if it would be worth a try and I’ve not had any real failures from this book. There was nothing much to putting the mixture together and then it was a simple bake in the oven. It turned out looking good and it tasted good. Not my favourite though.

Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔ 

No comments:

Post a Comment