Thursday 8 September 2011

Corn and Ginger Soup


Corn and Ginger Soup
from Sydney Food, Bill Granger, Murdoch Books, 2000.

Sydney Food has been on the shelf at home for several years but I have not taken it up to use before.



The book reminds me of a time I went to a cooking demonstration by Bill Granger. He was making his famous scrambled eggs. We all sat at long trestles in a large pavilion to watch and then taste the results. The tables were covered by long sheets of butchers paper to serve as tablecloths. When the food was served I pulled my plate towards me but didn’t realise there was a gap between the trestle tables that was hidden by the paper covering. My plate slipped through the paper and upended all over me. Disaster. Not only did I miss out on the tasting but I was covered in scrambled eggs. Some generous people at the table let me have some of their eggs to taste. That made up for it a little. I wonder whether it was this misadventure that caused me to overlook the recipe book on the shelf. I’ll try and make up for it now.



This corn and ginger soup was so easy to make and so tasty. It’s only a matter of briefly frying the spring onions and ginger, then adding the corn and frying it for a little longer. Then you add the stock, bring it to the boil and add the flavourings. It’s a wonderful soup. The flavourings are Asian and simply delicious.

This is a soup to add to my permanent list.

Taste: ✔✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔✔ 

No comments:

Post a Comment