Saturday 10 December 2011

Warm Salad of Slow-roast Tomatoes, Ricotta and Almonds on Mujadhara


From Vegetarian, Alice Hart, Murdoch Books, 2011.

I decided to slow roast my own tomatoes for this recipe. The instructions are in the book so I just made sure I planned a bit ahead of time for they needed four hours in the oven. I am pleased that I took the time for the freshly roasted tomatoes, sprinkled before roasting with caster sugar, rosemary and chopped garlic, were wickedly good.



I had not had mujadhara before But it is an easy-to-make base on which to serve some salad vegetables. Onions were fried until golden, then lentils were added and boiled for a little while before rice was then added to boil in the mixture.

The dressing was an oil and vinegar one but it had the addition of some saffron soaked in a little boiling water.



The salad was then put together. Chopped parsley and some spinach leaves were added to the mujadhara. It was placed on the serving plate and some tomatoes added on top with spoonfuls of ricotta. Toasted flaked almonds were scattered on top. Over this the dressing was poured.

What a great salad. I loved it. It was basically a meal in itself. One due for repeats. 



I'm truly enjoying cooking from this recipe book. The recipes are fresh and modern and turn out to taste as well as they look in the photographs.

Taste: ✔✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment