Sunday 22 January 2012

Asparagus, Fennel and Beetroot with Verjus


From Plenty, Yotam Ottolenghi, Ebury Press, 2010.

Maggie Beer often extols the benefits of verjus so it seemed as if I should at some time try it out. I found this recipe in Plenty which I often browse through. It’s a book I often flip over the pages to see what other treats are in it.



This is an easy recipe to prepare though it takes a little longer than usual for a salad.

The beetroot are roasted and then cooled.

The dressing takes a little time as the verjus is simmered until it is reduced. When it is cool oil and seasonings are beaten in.

While the recipe calls for the asparagus to be raw I cooked mine. I left the fennel raw though and sliced it thinly.



When the vegetables were on the serving plate they were dressed and sprinkled with pine nuts.

It was a rather fresh salad with some nice crunch from the fennel. I’m not so sure about the value of verjus as compared with a vinegar. It was a little blander in comparison and I do like the bite of vinegar.

Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment