Sunday 29 January 2012

Waldorf Salad


From Salades, Damien Pignolet, Lantern, 2010.

My Waldord salad didn’t exactly follow all the ingredients as per the instructions in Salades, but then, the recipe did mention that the recipe has altered so much over time that it is difficult to know exactly what the original recipe was like.



The variations I made were not including celeriac; there was none available. I also didn’t not peel my walnuts. While the instructions advised that the difference between a peeled and an unpeeled walnut is remarkable, I just wasn’t in the right mood to carry out this delicate operation.

So what I did was dice the inside stalks of celery. I chopped up the apple and tossed it in a little lemon juice. The mix of celery and apple was tossed in some mayonnaise (a commercial one). Walnuts were then chopped and combined with the other ingredients. And this was basically it. It was placed in some cos lettuce leaves and a few leaves of watercress were added.



When you cut out the walnut peeling process this is a quite simple salad to prepare. And, if you like lots of crunch, it’s a fresh flavoursome one. I don’t over like the texture of celery. The flavour is fine but biting into it is, for me, close to the fingernails-on-the-blackboard feeling. However, this is modified a little by the mayonnaise and doesn't screech quite so much.

Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment