Thursday 17 May 2012

Fennel and Feta Cheese


From River Cottage Veg Everyday, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, Bloomsbury, 2011.

I had some fennel left over so this sounded like a good way to use it up. The fennel was cut thinly and had lemon juice and olive oil dribbled on it. Salt and pepper were added. It was then gently tossed and left for half an hour to macerate (I love that word).

Crumbled cheese (I used feta but the recipe called for goat’s cheese) was then added and it was ready.



This was a quick to make salad that was both crunchy and creamy and went well alongside a main dish as a palate refresher. I must remember it whenever I have some fennel left over.

This cookery book has a whole section devoted to ‘raw assemblies’. These appear to be slightly different from salads in that they concentrate on one or two raw vegetables to bring out their essential flavour. It’s worth investigating further.




Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment