Saturday 7 July 2012

Mushroom Vol-au-Vents


From The Vegan Diet, David Scott and Claire Golding, Rider, 1985.

Occasionally I like to go back to look into an old cookbook. It’s like a sort of time machine for you get transported immediately to another era just by looking at the food that was eaten then. When I turned to this book I opened and found vol-au-vents that I don’t think I’ve seen for some time. Were they from the 70s or 80s? I do know they had their time and they do seem to have been relegated to a back seat. I knew I had to make them.


The puff pastry side was only a matter of preparing the two different pieces for the case. Once put together the cases were baked in a hot oven for 30 minutes. They puffed up well, though some of mine went lopsided, puffing up more on one side that the other.

The filling was made by chopping mushrooms and cooking them in oil and a little lemon juice. When they were approaching cooked a tablespoon of flour was added, stirred in and cooked for a couple of minutes. A little milk was added with some soya sauce and stirred until thickened. The mixture was tasted and seasoning added. Mushrooms always seem to need more salt.

The filling was added to the vol-au-vent cases and it was all ready.

This was a fun sort of dish. It was good to make and try, though I don’t think I can see myself making them again. Basically it’s a party dish to be handed around like canapés.

Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔

As some of these books may be out of print if anyone would like a particular recipe, email me (alfcooksvege@ozemail.com.au) and I’ll send an abbreviated version. Of course, the whole book would be better; it’s loaded with other goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment