Saturday 22 September 2012

Adobo de Guajillo


From Truly Mexican, Roberto Santibañez, John Wiley & Sons, 2011.

To make the adobo I took 6 guajillo chillies, split them and deseeded and deveined them. They were then dry roasted in a pan for a few minutes until the odours came through. As I did this I turned them frequently and pressed them down to make sure as much of the chilli as possible made contact with the pan. They were then soaked in water until soft, about half an hour.

Into the blender went the softened chillies together with a peeled garlic clove, salt, sugar, ground cumin, a splash of cider vinegar and about 1/3 cup of water. This was churned until smooth. It turned out to be a wonderfully red sauce, thick and well-flavoured.

I used it to make scrambled egg tortillas, and then, because it looked and tasted so good, I used it to marinate some chicken pieces for my partner who is not vegetarian.

Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment