Monday 5 November 2012

Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup


From Veg Out, MQP Publications, 2003.

Recovering from a case of jetlag I needed something mild but tasty to ease me back into eating normally again. Soup seemed to be just right—and something that had a bit of flavour to it.

I cut up an onion and a garlic clove and cooked them for about 10 minutes in a little butter in a large saucepan. Then I added about 400g of chopped mixed mushrooms to cook for another 10 minutes.


While this was proceeding I prepared the next lot of ingredients. I soaked a slice of white bread, crusts removed, for a few seconds and then squeezed out the water. I dropped in into a bowl with 3 tablespoons of dry sherry, a tablespoon of chopped thyme and a cup of milk. Into this I poured a litre of stock. By this time the mushrooms were ready so I added this lot to them and brought them to the boil. I turned them down to a simmer for 20 minutes while I went off and had a cup of green tea.

When the mushrooms were finished I blitzed them to a puree, added a little cream to the mixture and seasoned it.


At serving time chopped parsley was added and it was topped with croutons.

This was just what I needed. Tasty, creamy, easy to eat and something you could eat in front of the tele. A rocket, cherry tomato and parmesan salad with a lemony dressing accompanied it.

I haven’t used this little cookery book much before but it has a nice collection of reasonably easy but tasty vegetarian recipes: ’60 knockout recipes for the laid-back cook’. I don’t think they’re all ‘knockout’ but they are pretty good and well worth trying.

Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment