Thursday 29 November 2012

Spicy Courgette Koftas


From Classic Indian Vegetarian Cooking, Julie Sahni, Doubleday, 1987.

I was in a mood for Indian food so went to the bookcase and took down this book that I have not used for some time. When I have used it before I have always been satisfied with the results.

I decided on making these koftas as appetisers. It was a simple matter of putting all the ingredients into a bowl and mixing them together, then forming them into ball shapes and deep-frying them.

They were made with 3 grated zucchini, half a grated onion, about 45g of chick pea flour (besan), some ground coriander, a large pinch of paprika, 2 chopped red chillies, some chopped fresh coriander and a pinch of baking powder, with salt added to taste.

These turned out to be wonderfully crisp on the outside and soft inside. They were spicy and hot and quite moreish.

Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

As some of these books may be out of print if anyone would like a particular recipe, email me (alfcooksvege@ozemail.com.au) and I’ll send an abbreviated version. Of course, the whole book would be better; it’s loaded with other goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment