Monday 21 January 2013

Moroccan Bread


From Moroccan, Lorenz Books, 1999.

I needed bread to go with my soup so set to work to make this Moroccan bread.


In a cup I mixed a little water with some milk to about 1/3 cup with a large pinch of sugar. I warmed this a little and added about a teaspoon of fresh yeast. I left this for 10 minutes.

I took 225g of strong bread flour. The recipe called for a mix of white and wholemeal. I used plain white but added a good handful of wheat bran. This went into a bowl with a teaspoon of salt. The yeast mixture was added to this and stirred in with about 1/2 cup of a warmed milk/water mix.


This made a soft dough which I dropped onto the floured bench. I kneaded this for about 10 minutes when it began to form into a firmer, elastic dough. I floured a baking tray and placed the dough ball onto it, pressing it down a little to flatten it somewhat. This was covered with plastic wrap which I oiled to prevent it sticking and then left it for a good hour and a half until it had risen.

It was sprinkled with sesame seeds and placed into a 200ºC oven for 10 minutes. The oven was then turned down to 150ºC and the bread cooked for another half hour.

This made a loaf sufficient for two to have with a bowl of soup. It was a well flavoured yeasty bread.


Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment