Thursday 28 March 2013

Spaghetti con Patate e Cavolo Nero (Spaghetti with Potato and Cavolo Nero


From a recipe by Lina Siciliano in Italian Food Safari, Maeve O’Meara with Guy Grossi, Hardie Grant Books, 2010.

Having been given the pasta attachment to our KitchenAid equipment I naturally had to use it. Rolling out the pasta was a breeze and I soon had the sheets ready to be cut into spaghetti. The cutter worked well but it, for me, made the spaghetti too thin. It was like very thin noodles. I’ll try the fettucini cutter next time.


Though the thinness of the spaghetti seemed wrong for the dish I was making I went ahead as the pasta was made. I cut two medium-sized potatoes into bite-sized pieces and placed them into a pot of salted boiling water. After 5 minutes I added about 8 cavolo negro leaves sliced and with the thick inner stalk cut out. The cooking now continued for another 10 minutes. Now the pasta was added and cooked for about a minute as it was very thin.

When the pasta was added to the saucepan I heated up some olive oil in a frying pan with two peeled garlic cloves to flavour the oil.

I saved a cup of water from the pasta pot and drained the ingredients. These were added to the pan with the oil and gently turned to coat all with the oil. Some of the water from the cup was added to give a little more moisture. The pasta was ready to serve.

This was a subtle dish. The flavours were delicate; there was nothing overpowering here, just the gentle tastes to savour.

Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment