Thursday 18 April 2013

Ginger Wine Sorbet


From Ice Cream, Hilary Walden, Golden Press, 1985.

I poured 350ml of ginger wine into a bowl, then added the juice of half a lime and another 350ml water. I gave them a stir and then placed them into the freezer to reach the slushy stage.


When the mixture was ready I placed 2 egg whites into the KitchenAid and then began beating them at a low speed while I brought 200g sugar and 60ml water with half a teaspoon cream of tartar to the boil in a saucepan. When the sugar mix was boiling I let it boil for about 5 minutes while I turned the beater up to high to bring the egg whites to a firm stage. I now took the sugar mix off the heat and let it slowly run down the sides of the mixing bowl while the whisk kept turning.


Now I brought the slushy ginger wine mixture from the freezer, beat it a little and then folded the meringue into it. It didn’t mix together very well, leaving me with two layers in the bowl. It went back into the freezer for about 4 more hours. I mixed it again when it was set a little more and back into the freezer it went. It was not setting very well.

I left it over night and this time it had set a bit more, though not completely. I mixed it again—a bit better this time though it still was not firm.

Despite the fact that the mixture did not really set properly it was delicious. I think I could easily have another try at this to see if I can make it work.

Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment