Wednesday 22 May 2013

Swiss Enchiladas


From A Taste of Mexico, Kippy Nigh, Book Publishing Co., 1996.
Having some masa flour I was keen to try making tortillas. They were simply made with flour and water in a ratio of 2:1. For what I needed I used one cup of flour and ½ cup water mixing them together bit by bit until they had formed a dough. I found I needed a little more than the half cup of water. Then I kneaded the dough until it was pliable and not sticky. I took a small portion and tried to roll it out but it crumbled a bit so I added a little more water and gave it a longer kneading. It was then rolled out between two sheets of cling wrap. It rolled easily but it was very difficult to make it a round shape. I cooked it on a very hot pan turning it twice. It was reasonable but not a very good first try. These obviously need practice to be able to perfect them.

The tortillas were kept warm in a clean tea towel. They were then taken one at a time and dipped in warmed green chilli sauce. Grated tasty cheddar cheese was placed on them and they were rolled up and put in a small casserole. When they were all filled and rolled they went into a 180ºC oven for 15 minutes.

They were served with more green chilli sauce, yoghurt and some chopped spring onions.
I found the name Swiss Enchiladas a contradiction in terms but the recipe came with an explanation that migrants from Switzerland had contributed to the Mexican cuisine and these were so named because of the yoghurt and cheese.
I was reasonably happy with the enchiladas. The tortillas were not too badly made for eating and the green chilli sauce was tasty with the cheese filling. The yoghurt nicely complemented the heat of the sauce.
Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment