Thursday 2 May 2013

Twice-baked Cheese Soufflés on Mushroom Steaks


From Vegetarian Supercook, Rose Elliot, Hamlyn. 2004.

I had a spare egg white so looked for a recipe that needed one. I found this one.


First I greased two ramekins with butter then set the oven to heat up to180ºC.


Now I set about making the filling. In a bowl I placed 125g soft cream cheese and 2 egg yolks and beat them until well combined. To this I stirred in 75g grated gruyere cheese. I whisked 3 egg whites until they were firm then folded them carefully into the cheese mixture. This was spooned into the ramekins. They were placed in a casserole and boiling water poured in until half way up the ramekins. Into the oven they went to cook for a little over 15 minutes. I took them out and let them cool.



I now took two field mushrooms, removed the stems and sautéed them on both sides until cooked. 

Just before serving time the oven was turned up to 220ºC. The soufflés were turned out of the ramekins and one placed on top of each mushroom. They were placed in a dish for the oven and a little cream dribbled over the top. Some grated parmesan cheese was now sprinkled over and they went into the oven for another 15 minutes.

The soufflés had become a little crispy on top that went well with their creamy texture. The flavour of the gruyere came through well. I found that the mushroom was a little too strong to eat with the soufflé and I found that I soon took the mushroom out from underneath and ate it separately so that the more delicate flavour of the soufflé was not overpowered.



Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment