Saturday 8 June 2013

Spinach Filos


From The Meat Free Monday Cookbook, Kyle Books, 2011.
 And the last element of my Middle Eastern meal was these spinach filos.

In a frying pan I cooked a goodly quantity of washed spinach leaves until they had wilted down. They were then left to cool before being finely chopped. I crumbled about 100g feta and mixed it with the spinach. Some seasoning was added and a little freshly grated nutmeg. An egg went in next and the filling was ready for the pastry.

I cut strips of filo pastry about 7cm wide. They were brushed with melted butter and about a heaped teaspoon filling placed on one end. The strip was folded over the filling to form a triangle and they step by step folded along the strip until the end was reached. The triangle was now brushed with more butter. 
As I went along making the pastries I found that I had been a little too cautious with the first ones with the amount of filling they could handle and the quantity of filling was gradually increased as I progressed. The pastries were cooked in a 180ºC oven until golden.
 
These were pleasant enough little snacks, a little fiddly to make but they did reward the effort.

Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment