Wednesday 17 July 2013

Indian Chickpea Stew


From Asian Vegetarian Recipes, Family Circle, Murdoch Books, 2000.
Cold, cold weather. I was in the mood for something hot and comforting. A stew. Spicy. This might do the trick.

I dry-fried 2 teaspoons each of garam masala, ground coriander and ground cumin until their aromas came through. They were then placed aside and into the pan went about a tablespoon ghee, a chopped onion, 2 cloves chopped garlic and the spices that had been put aside. Also into the mix went a teaspoon ground turmeric and a little grated fresh ginger. These were all fried until the onions had softened—about 5 minutes.

Now I added a can of chickpeas, drained, and a can of tomatoes. They were brought to the boil and then reduced to a simmer for 10 minutes. Then, using a stick blender, I pureed a little of the mixture. It was easy enough to do this in the saucepan, taking care not to puree all of the contents.
It was now ready to serve so a couple of cups of chopped English spinach and a couple of tablespoons chopped coriander were added and stirred in until they had wilted. I checked it for seasoning and had to add a little salt and a good grinding of black pepper. It was served with coconut rice.
As far as this type of spicy stew goes it wasn’t bad. It was easy to make and certainly satisfied my need. I think if I make it again I would add chillies to give it a bit more of a punch.
Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment