Saturday 3 August 2013

Banana, Honey & Walnut Bread


From Supergrains, Chrissy Freer, Murdoch Books, 2013.
Despite all the statements about how good quinoa is for you, I find it pretty much a non-entity as far as flavour is concerned. Nevertheless I try it every so often just in case I’m missing something. In a cake, I thought, might be a good way.

I mixed 225g plain flour with a teaspoon ground cinnamon and 3 teaspoons baking powder. These were sifted together, then had 70g quinoa flakes added with 40g chopped walnuts.
In a separate bowl I mixed together 2 eggs, ½ cup honey, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 60g crème fraîche (instead of the sour cream in the recipe) and 3 mashed bananas. Once well combined this was added to the flour mixture. I stirred it until, like a muffin mix, it was just combined.

It now went into a baking paper lined loaf tin. The surface was sprinkled with more chopped walnuts and went into a 180ºC oven for 50 minutes.
This was an enjoyable moist bread. A mixture of walnuts, honey and bananas can hardly fail. It had a flavour as though it was made with a wholemeal flour that was, I guess, the result of the quinoa. The second day I found that I enjoyed it a little more when the flavours seemed to have matured somewhat.
Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔     

No comments:

Post a Comment