Thursday 3 October 2013

Sundried Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil Tart


From The Accidental Vegetarian, Simon Rimmer, Mitchell Beazley, 2010.
I always enjoy making pies or tarts and these simple tarts appealed to me.

I made a short pastry, lined some 7cm flan cases and blind baked them for about 15 mins. They were then taken out, the pie bean weights taken out and the flans returned for another 5 mins to crisp up the bottoms a little more.

The filling was made from finely chopping about 12 sun-dried tomatoes, and mixing them with 250g grated mozzarella and about 20 basil leaves which I tore into smaller pieces. This mixture was piled into the pastry cases, a dribble of cream added and they went into the oven until the cheese had melted and begun to brown a little.
I served these with a rocket, walnut, goat’s cheese and nashi pear salad. Tasty and refreshing, leaving you satisfied but not feeling bloated.
Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment