Sunday 24 November 2013

Artichoke and Potato Salad


From Jane Grigson’s Vegetable Book, Jane Grigson, Penguin Books, 1988.
Well, I’d have to confess before I go any further that I cheated on this one. I did not cook the fresh artichokes and used tinned ones instead—and in Jane Grigson’s book her advice for using canned artichokes is: Don’t. What is more I did not stick to the recipe at all but added other ingredients. So, I guess, the recipe was basically just used as a starting off point.
I cut two potatoes into cubes and placed them in salted water, brought them to the boil and let them simmer until just cooked. They were drained and placed in a bowl.
I opened a can of artichoke hearts and cut these into dice and added them to the potatoes.

I had some cooked chick peas in the refrigerator so added these to the mix.
It all looked pretty dull at this stage so I took some frozen peas from the freezer, gave them a quick boil and added them to give a little bit of colour.

A commercial mayonnaise was added as dressing, sufficient to moisten the salad. A touch of salt and some freshly ground black pepper were added to taste. A couple of boiled eggs were shelled and sliced into quarters and added with a few black olives. The salad was ready.
Not quite Jane Grigson’s salad but it went down nicely. The ingredients all worked together well. It’s quite a heavy salad so only a small quantity was needed to satisfy the hunger.
Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment