Monday 16 December 2013

Sandwich Soufflé


From Mrs Harvey’s Sister-in-Law and Other Tasty Dishes, Margaret Dunn, Murdoch Books, 2007.
Just the name of this was enough to make me curious enough to make it.

I decided to make it in individual casseroles. For each casserole (I was making two) I cut three slices of bread into rounds to fit. I now buttered one round of bread and placed it in the casserole with some slices of cheddar cheese on top. I did the same with two more rounds of bread ending with the cheese on top.

I scalded about 400ml of milk and when it had cooled beat in one egg, ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard and a little salt. This was carefully poured into the casseroles until they were full. They were now left for an hour for the liquid to be fully absorbed by the bread.
They were cooked in a 180ºC oven for half an hour at which time they had risen wonderfully and turned brown and crisp on top. I thought that they would not sink like normal soufflés so did not hurry to serve them. I was wrong they did sink a little but it made no difference. 
They were a cheap and very tasty dish. I’d make them again.
Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment