Tuesday 10 June 2014

Amaranth and Raisin Cookies

I'm not totally convinced about super foods but a lot of the ingredients I use fall naturally into that category so don't really feel any need to concentrate on them. However, I did not know amaranth so decided to give it a go.


I put 80g butter, 2 tablespoons honey and 50g crunchy peanut butter into a small saucepan and heated it until it had melted and mixed well. It was then left to cool.

In a large basin I mixed 150g plain flour, 100 amaranth flakes (the recipe called for puffed amaranth but I was unable to obtain it), 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger. 75g caster sugar, 75g brown sugar and 85g raisins. These were well mixed and a beaten egg was stirred in together with the cooled butter mixture.

The oven was turned on to heat to 180ÂșC and two trays were lined with baking paper. The mixture was taken about a tablespoon at a time and squeezed in the hand repeatedly until it had formed together well enough to be rolled into a ball. When all of the mixture was laid out on the trays a fork was used to flatten them a little. They were cooked in the oven for about 15 minutes until browned.

The cookies were left on the trays for about 5 minutes before they were lifted off the baking paper and placed on a rack to cool.

While I wouldn't rave about these they were pleasantly enjoyable and worth trying as they were easily made. There was no distinct flavour that I could label as 'amaranth'.

Taste: 
Ease of cooking: 

No comments:

Post a Comment